Research

Wednesday 19 October 2016

Audience Feedback Update

After distributing my survey to a variety of people between the ages of 16-20, 6 have completed my online survey regarding film trailers. This is clearly not enough results as 6 is a significantly small amount of people, and I aim for about 10-15 people to complete it in order to gain a wider range of results so I can analyse effectively. However for the mean time, I thought I would analyse the 6 answered surveys that are completed.


I included this question in order to establish whether the demographic are interested in watching the trailer first in order to get a understanding of if the film is worth a watch. From the results it is evident that there is a 50/50 split between very likely and likely, therefore it is essential that a competent trailer is produced as this will be a reflection of the real film, and from the results we can see that it is frequent that my target will watch the trailer to decide whether the real film is worth a watch. Linking to the purpose of a trailer being to entice the viewers to watch the full film.

As I am still in the planning stages of my trailer, it is not yet clarified whether I am going to produce a theatrical or teaser trailer. These results showing that the audience prefer theatrical trailers helps aid this problem I am yet  to solve! This gives me a definite indication that I will produce a theatrical trailer. A theatrical trailer will therefore allow me to include more shot types and exhale my skills more efficiently as theatrical trailers are conventionally longer than a teaser.


I included this questions as it enabled me to gain a understanding of what film trailers people of my target demographic watch - therefore indicating the type of films they are into helping me with my narrative. Also, this question allows me to do some further research into what trailers have been watched but haven't done a good enough job of enticing the viewer to see the film at the cinema. For example 'Girl on the train' appears twice in the results of this question, meaning that there might be a specific reason for this - or contrastingly they just might not have got round to watching it yet as it is a current film in the market! I will do some further research into this.

This question enabled me to get a sense of whether trailers that deploy the whole narrative from start to finish work effectively. From the results it shows that 2 people think this works effectively, however a greater number of 4 people think that this doesn't entice a viewer to watch the film. Based on these results, in my trailer, I am going to aim to keep the ending omniscient in order to give people a reason to watch the full film and find out what happens.



This question enabled me to get some research on what sound will work effectively in my trailer. It is a common convention for trailers to have a voice over, however I was unsure whether this is something that my target audience find powerful, or contrastingly distracting. From the results 1 person thinks that it is slightly distracting, 3 people think it is not very distracting  and 2 people aren't quite decided on what they think. This is a varied distribution of results - however the largest distribution is with 3 people who are not fazed by a voice over, which is something I could consider to deploy my narrative in the trailer.
In the creation of this questionnaire I wanted to gain a idea from a specific target audience of what trailers do not work effectively and in fact subvert the viewer from watching the film. Therefore from the results of 6 and 7 I was able to do so. 4 people interestingly said that they have never been put off by a trailer, however 2 people challenged this and said that they have been put off. I included question 7 to find out specifically what film/films have done so. One result showed that the person cant remember - meaning that the film trailer obviously didn't impact the viewer enough to even remember the name!...Something that I am definitely trying to avoid! The other named 21 jump street, further to this I will do some research into why this trailer didn't adhere to it's purpose and entice the viewer into watching the whole film.

1 comment: